ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Inductors in series for wah

6/1/1999 6:25 PM
Pascal
Inductors in series for wah
I`m using 150 mH inductors in series for my homemade wah to get the 500 mH value required, but the tone of my wah (vox clone) seems O.K. clean but when used in front of a cranked amp or OD pedal lacks "wah-wah" and high end in the distortion... should I tweak caps some more or is the inductor to blame, how about transistors, I`m using MPS-18's... (yes I have moved the pot around on the pignon)...

6/2/1999 7:01 AM
R.G.

I've used the trick of putting several inductors in series, works OK.  

I don't think the inductors are the problem. Have you tried a commercial wah to see how it responds in the same setup? Wah in front of a distortion does not sound the same as a wah after the distortion - it mostly selects which frequencies will be distorted rather than making a wah in this setup.

6/2/1999 9:40 AM
gfr

I prefer the tone of the wha before the distortion. When the wha is after the distortion the "WWWH" portion of of the sweep tends to be quieter then the "HAAA" part. The distortion helps to keep levels ballanced.  

BUT... This works with low to mid amounts of overdrive. If you are using ultra-high gain the wha effect is dominated by the huge amount of distortion and just disappears. There's a simple test to know if you have too much distortion: if when you change from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup the tone changes too little, you've got too much distortion.  

A common problem with classic whas is that they don't work properly before fx or amps with low input impedance. For example a Vox before a stock FF presents some problems (you can cure this with a resistor/pot in series with the FF input like the Fuller mod).

Page 1 of 1