ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

hi-end rolloff

6/1/1999 2:51 PM
phil

hi-end rolloff
The other day the 9-volt battery in my delay pedal was dying, and it produced the most pleasing, subtle touch of compression and high-end rolloff -- all of a sudden I had the "brown" sound and was playing "Panama"!!!  

Maybe this is something I could add on the output of my tube preamp? before the digital delay and power amp?  

Does anybody have any experience with speaker simulator circuits or high-end rolloff circuits to emulate the "brown" sound?  

BTW, I'm not afraid of op-amps, but my meat-hooks are used to working with tubes!

6/1/1999 3:10 PM
Mark Hammer

Sounds like you want a variable-voltage regulated power supply, so you can twiddle a pot and get the "magic voltage" that makes your pedal behave in the desired manner.  

A few months back in Electronic Musician, there was a schematic for a distortion unit that used a current regulator to constrain how much current was supplied to the distortion element (a 4049 invertor section). With seriously limited current, it was described as getting a kind of Neil Young splatter sound. Maybe what you want is current regulation rather than voltage regulation, or maybe both!

Page 1 of 1