ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

4 transistor Electra Distortion

6/1/1999 2:23 PM
Michael Fragassi
email
4 transistor Electra Distortion
Has anyone built the 4 transistor version of the Electra Distortion and could tell me how it sounds and how you layed out the board. Thanks!

6/1/1999 3:48 PM
Jack Orman
Website
email

quote:
"Has anyone built the 4 transistor version of the Electra Distortion and could tell me how it sounds and how you layed out the board."

This device is really mis-biased since the diodes in the feedback loop are not ac coupled. It clips almost immediately on one-half of the input wave due to the bias conditions. And at 50mv input, the output is a virtual square wave. Two of these circuits (i.e. 2 transistors) in series would produce over-the-top gain and distortion... four of them is just adding in more noise.  

Note that in the Big Muff, which has diodes in the feedback loop from collector to base, there is a capacitor blocking the dc so that it doesn't upset the bias. However, in the Electra4, the bias conditions are what are contributing to the mega-gain and distortion, so maybe that's what you want.  

(I modeled this in EWB so I don't have the pcb layout.)  

regards, Jack

Page 1 of 1