ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

tboy- what is the significance of the colored dates?

5/27/1999 1:12 AM
Steve A.
Website
email
tboy- what is the significance of the colored dates?
    I have heard of "red-letter days", but what is up with the "red-letter dates"? I was thinking that it indicated whether the post had been read, or whether the post had been made since a visitor had logged on last, but the date colors seem to remain fixed. So is it just a minor formatting change to make the list easier to readó or am I missing something here?  

Thanks again for your great board!  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. BTW with the default settings in my browser (NS 4.6) I have to look very hard to see the difference in color between the read and the unread posts. So I was hoping that the red date was there to further differentiate them, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

5/27/1999 3:05 AM
anonymous
Website
email

Steve,  

The red (its supposed to be maroon) date indicates that the post is less than 24 hours old. Sometimes I have trouble locating the newest posts in a long thread quickly, so I thought maybe if others had the same difficulty it might help a bit.  

I've considered doing it so that posts made since a visitor last read a message would be in a different color, but that would necessitate giving everyone a cookie every time they read a message, and I'm concerned that might scare away a lot of people who are paranoid about cookies. As it stands now only those who post get a cookie (so they don't have to fill in their name each time), and even that seems to scare some people.  

I'll put some experiments with the read/unread colors on my to-do list, but it could be a while before I get to it.  

--tboy

5/27/1999 9:29 AM
Bruce
email

quote:
"I've considered doing it so that posts made since a visitor last read a message would be in a different color, but that would necessitate giving everyone a cookie every time they read a message,..."

Uh oh!  
Mine does that now. The previously read posts are all in red and the ones I have not read are bright blue.  
But it only does that if I always use the exact same number in the"current" DAYS OLD field.  
How'd that happen?  

Bruce

5/27/1999 9:47 AM
GFR
Website
email

My previously read posts are of a lighter green, underlined. New are dark green not underlined.

5/27/1999 8:39 PM
Steve A.
Website
email

tboy:  

Great idea (and great solution to the "cookie vs. no cookie" controversy!) Since many of us log on every day anyway "less than 24 hours" would be roughly the same as "new messages since you logged on last"... and it won't get reset if we log off and log back on.  

Thanks for your time and diligence in keeping the BBS software here truly "state of the art"!  

Steve Ahola  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 1