ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Speaker Case

:
12/22/1998 6:06 AM
Jack Orman

Speaker Case
I'm looking for some ideas. I have a design for a small 1w s-s practice amp and I want to build it into a very small speaker case. I had originally intended to build the speaker cabinet from wood but it would be much better if I could find a small, stiff enclosure that could be applied to this project. It has to hold a 5 1/4" (133mm) speaker. I looked at some Rubbermaid boxes at WalMart but didn't see one suited. Any novel ideas?  

JACK

12/22/1998 10:01 AM
fet
1. At a garage sale I saw a little old electric heater, 20s or 30s vintage, mounted into a pressed-sheet-metal case that looked much like an old table radio. The heating elements were mounted behind slots punched/bent in the front of the case. I thought, "That could be a guitar amp."  

2. A fifties/sixties table radio or clock radio from the local thrift shop.  

3. A rectangular briefcase or other small luggage; unused space could store cords.

12/22/1998 10:09 AM
Dean Hazelwanter

Actually, yes.  

Last week I read an article in alt.guitar.amps by Andy Fuchs about using PVC pipe for a powered stage monitor. Look for the subject 'Re: Stage Monitors'. Let me know if you have trouble finding it and I'll send you a copy.

12/22/1998 1:01 PM
Jack Orman

quote:
"Last week I read an article in alt.guitar.amps by Andy Fuchs about using PVC pipe for a powered stage monitor."

That's interesting... I could get some 6" schedule 40 pvc and mount it in the end. Hmm, there's a pipe place just down the street. Thanks for the tip.  

Any others?  

regards, Jack

12/22/1998 7:44 PM
Bruce

Hammond Mfg. in Canada have a plastic case subdivision and have all sorts of interesting shapes and sizes.  

http://www.hammondmfg.com/index  

Check this site and follow the links.  

Bruce  
Mission Amps

12/22/1998 10:23 PM
Bruce

Let's try that again.  
Cause it didn't work the first time.  

http://www.hammondmfg.com  

Bruce

12/22/1998 9:11 PM
MKB

Hello, Jack. I once (many moons ago) built a crystal radio in one of those square clear plastic cubes that you put pictures in, I think they were about five inches per side. If they're still available, you might want to consider one of those. Gives a chance for others to see great workmanship!

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>