ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Fender amp resonating buzz...

6/4/1999 12:24 AM
Scott Crossley
Website
email
Fender amp resonating buzz...
Hey there  
I have a 69 Fender Super Reverb that's just started to develop a terrible buzz when  
I hold a B note. You hear the note ringing out for a split second before crazy distortion  
kicks in and boosts the notes' volume about 50%. Turning down the bass on the EQ helps somewhat, but it still distorts.  
I'm not sure where to start looking for the cause.  
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it. I have tried not playing any B  
notes but it was a little impractical ;)  

Scott

6/4/1999 5:57 AM
MKB
email

Hello, Scott. I had a similar problem this week while working on my tweed Princeton clone. Any C note would cause a fierce buzzing, this would only happen at above a certain volume. Turned out that the voice coil was coming unglued from the cone of the speaker (an old alnico 12" from my dad's old stereo). I removed the dust cap from the speaker, forced some 5 min. epoxy in the separated area, and this cured the problem. Now if I could find another dust cap.....  

Good luck!

6/4/1999 4:05 PM
Richie
email

That would be my first guess, as MKB said. Check the speakers, listen to see which one is making the buzz.Use another cabnet to see if it buzzes with it.this will help narrow down where its coming from. And you may need to get a replacement.[Richie]

Page 1 of 1