ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

What is the best amp to drive a Heil Talkbox

4/16/1999 9:35 PM
John
email
What is the best amp to drive a Heil Talkbox
Any suggestions out there about the best sounding, inexpensive, solid state amp to drive a Heil Talkbox? Trying to achieve that Joe Walsh gain factor for Rocky Mtn.Way. Can someone help me on this? Thank you in advance.  

JOHN

4/17/1999 6:39 AM
Steve Dallman
email

Almost any 15-20W amp should work well. You will want distortion. By time the sound from the tube comes out of your mouth most subtlties of the amp disappear. Any amp with 3 band EQ and overdrive will be OK.

4/18/1999 7:46 AM
Trace
Website
email

Hey all;  

I second Steve's thoughts here. It doens't much matter what the amp is because the talk box is acting like a speaker and the tube feeds the "speaker" (let's just say that to makes things easier for now) into your mouth and your mouth sorta becomes the "  
filter", kinda like a wah in a sense.  
I think Joe used a Plexi to be honest with you. I believe I read that somewhere. Anyone know for sure??  

best of luck;  
Trace

4/18/1999 8:17 AM
John
email

Hello Trace,yes I too would like to know what Joe Walsh used....The Plexi was the mainstay amp of that era though for sure! Trace I am starting to also believe that the microphone quality plays an important part of this when running the talkbox through the pa system.This probably is an even more important factor than the amp that drives the talkbox.....What do you all think? JOHN.

4/18/1999 11:28 AM
Pinout 9CV
A couple of things I recall from a Joe walsh article in Guitar Player in the mid 70's.He used a small amp and a small driver. I can assure you a Heil talkbox thru a cranked 50 watt or more amp will knock your fillings out! Heil made a point that the shape of the connection between the driver and the hose was crucial in the tone..

4/18/1999 7:30 PM
Trace
Website
email

John;  

For what it's worth I use the Heil talkbox myself every weekend and the mic I use is a Shure Beta58 (blue series.)  

I actually use a 1974 Marshall (1987 circuit) with 2-4/12 cabinets and run the talk box into one cabinet and the other is just the guitar signal.  

It's really not a much pressure on the fillings as one would think to be honest with you. I know the original talk boxes were always blowing up (I know from experience) and the Heil has been faithful so far (keeping my fingers crossed.)  

The Beat58 seems to cut down on the feedback into the vocal moniter which was always a problem for me in the past. So that's my 2 cents worth! (ha, ha)  

:-0  
Trace

4/18/1999 8:33 PM
John
email

Hello again Trace...at least I feel as though I am on track with some of these responses because recently I was looking into buying a Shure Beta 57A mic for the talkbox.I run my main guitar signal through a Mesa/Tremoverb head w/the Rectifier 2x12 cab,then I A/B over to a Fender Pro Juinor amp w/distortion pedals for the talkbox.I just haven't been that thrilled with the Talkbox/Pro Juinor combination,maybe the mic would solve some problems because right now I am using an older Audio Technica mic...probably a cheap model....I don't really know? Keep the comments coming..sure do appreciate all of the replys on this Thanks so much....JOHN.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>