Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Where to Look for Caps?

2/7/1999 6:51 PM
H.Meuse: Where to Look for Caps?
I want to replace a cap in my Alamo amp it has three new Electrolitics but i have one old cap that looks like electrolitic i can't find this value in any catalogs i also have an old radio with 4 of the same caps.  
They are .05MF 200 and 350WVDC thic value is common in ceramic caps .  
Thanks for any help.  
2/7/1999 7:43 PM

Could it be that you perceive the caps as "electrolytic" 'cuz they are cylindrical with "axial" (coming out of each end: "axis") leads? Or, if this amp was made in Japan (was it?) cuz it has the oil filled caps (which state "oil" on their sides)? Generally these caps are referred to a "paper" caps as they use a special paper as the dielectric. I don't know if anyone still makes caps with an actual paper dielectric but any of the plastic dielectrics would suffice. The Sprague "Orange Drops" which you see referred to often on Ampage are a suitable sub., and Antique Electric supply usually seems to have NOS paper caps for sale. If you do find a NOS/UOS paper cap, check it for leakage before using it - the reason that these caps fell from favor was leakage that results from moisture intrusion. To test the cap, hook it in series with a 1 meg resistor and hook it across a DC power supply of the same voltage that the cap is rated for or about 5% higher. Then hook your DMM across the resistor - any DC voltage present represents leakage and a discard under most circumstances.  
   Page 1 of 1