ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: half bad power transformer?

11/28/1998 12:30 PM
Bob Thomason
email
Re: half bad power transformer?
To answer all: The amp is a Silvertone twin twelve 2-6L6,tube rectifier, The tech said the windings were open on one side of the power transformer and it needes to be replaced as that was the reason for the loss of volume and tone quality. Probably he said AS IF I'm running one tube. I actually pulled a power tube and the tone or vol. never changed. I was just curious about the condition and what to use as a replacement.  
Thanks to all.

11/29/1998 1:13 AM
Kurt
email

The Twin Twelve had only one OP.  
You need a Power Transformer.  
The interesting thing about this power circuit is that their is a voltage doubler in it, which means that the secondaries are producing a lower voltage than on any of the commonly available instrument amplifier transformers (Fender, Marshall, or Ampeg replacements), so you'll pay real money for it. Try Antique Electronic Supply for a suitable model. If you are planning a DIY, you should have a good grasp on the specs. They offer a good range of standup mounting types.

11/30/1998 4:09 PM
Reid Kneeland
email

>The interesting thing about this power circuit is that their is a voltage doubler in it, which means that the secondaries are producing a lower voltage than on any of the commonly available instrument amplifier transformers transformers (Fender, Marshall, or Ampeg replacements), so you'll pay real money for it. Try Antique Electronic Supply for a suitable model  

Other options are to replace the doubler with a conventional rectifier scheme (this will create a stiffer supply, and change the sound), or find a transformer with double the secondary voltage you want but a 230 V primary (for European or Australian use), and feed it 117.  

Reid

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 2