ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

RCA 6V6GT vs. 6V6GTA?

:
10/28/1998 6:31 AM
Mike Beers
RCA 6V6GT vs. 6V6GTA?
What are the differences between the clear glass RCA 6V6GTA's and the grey glass 6V6GT's?  

Are they of similar quality? Should there be a significant price premium for one versus the other for NOS tubes?  

Thanks.  

Mike

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

10/28/1998 10:39 AM
Graywater

Mike: Can't tell you anything concerning different glass but the "A" version of the 6V^ has higher plate dissipation, 14W vs 12w for the plain 6V6, and controlled heater warm up characteristics.  

GW

10/28/1998 2:58 PM
Doc

It seems that many tweed & blackface purists prefer the sound of the earlier black plate version. They're a little harder to get these days, so the price might be higher than for the later version. Also, the most recent versions of the -GTAs have a button base instead of the traditional-looking full skirt octal base. Looks "too modern" for a vintage amp.  

IMO, unless you just have to have the early version -GT, buy the clear glass -GTAs. They should sound good, and last a long time. (I'm speaking out of context, because you didn't state which amp you had in mind. I was sort of assuming it might be a deluxe reverb.)  

Doc

10/28/1998 11:07 PM
Mike Beers
A TopHat Club Deluxe
The Club Deluxe runs in Class A, so I don't know how that would affect it. The GT's aren't the black plates, but like GW pointed out above, they're rated for 14 as opposed to 12 watts.  

Thanks very much.  

Mike

Page 1 of 1