ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Bloomfields Super

10/28/1998 5:42 PM
Tom
email
Re: Bloomfields Super
Had a '68 Goldtop with minis. Sold it, didn't like the look or the tone!

10/28/1998 8:37 PM
Steve A.
email

RL:  

Maybe its just the photo processing, but the humbuckers on the back of the vinyl version of SuperSession look smaller than regular hb's. However, the mounting plates look full size so maybe its just an optical illusion. When I saw the Electric Flag in Golden Gate Park in the late 60's, Bloomfield had already jumped ship, and when I did see him in the 70's with Nick Gravenites he was playing Fenders.  

Didn't Gibson put mini's on their Firebirds- I always thought that they were great sounding guitars. Was that before or after the LP Deluxes? After I got my LP Standard a friend picked up a used Deluxe for a couple hundred bucks and I thought that the stock pickups sounded much better than mine (1975 stock Gibson hb's were the pits).  

Now that you mention it, he was probably using just the stock pickups on a "holy grail" LP from '59 or whenever.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Since I can no longer blame my pickups I need to come up with another excuse for not sounding as good as Mike Bloomfield; maybe I was taking the wrong kind of drugs... [ g ]

10/30/1998 1:22 PM
anonymous
It was before the Delux came out. firebirds use either minis, full size or p-90's starting in the mid 60's. One book says 65. Vintage guitar says that Delux started in 69 but another book I have says 71.  

The PU's contribute to the firebird's tone but the neck thru body makes this guitar what it is. That feature is only on the reverse firebird. The non-reverse has glued in neck.

10/28/1998 8:37 PM
Steve A.
email

RL:  

Maybe its just the photo processing, but the humbuckers on the back of the vinyl version of SuperSession look smaller than regular hb's. However, the mounting plates look full size so maybe its just an optical illusion. When I saw the Electric Flag in Golden Gate Park in the late 60's, Bloomfield had already jumped ship, and when I did see him in the 70's with Nick Gravenites he was playing Fenders.  

Didn't Gibson put mini's on their Firebirds- I always thought that they were great sounding guitars. Was that before or after the LP Deluxes? After I got my LP Standard a friend picked up a used Deluxe for a couple hundred bucks and I thought that the stock pickups sounded much better than mine (1975 stock Gibson hb's were the pits).  

Now that you mention it, he was probably using just the stock pickups on a "holy grail" LP from '59 or whenever.  

Steve Ahola  

P.S. Since I can no longer blame my pickups I need to come up with another excuse for not sounding as good as Mike Bloomfield; maybe I was taking the wrong kind of drugs... [ g ]

10/30/1998 9:23 AM
R L
email

Steve,  

I think you're right about the firebirds. I'm pretty sure I saw minis on one played by Johnny Winter at one point. No mounting rings as I recall. Speaking of JW, I once saw him slink into a north side club in Chicago when Junior Wells was playing. He was trying to look inconspicuous, which was a lost cause. That was the night Junior Wells surgically removed my hearing in the upper frequencies with his opening high A. Memories are made of this.  

RL

11/2/1998 12:29 AM
Steve A.
Website
email

RL  

Speaking of Johnny Winter did you catch his "cameo" on The Simpsons Halloween Special VIII? Homer was trying to escape from the post-holocaust mutants and drove up to the Johnny and Edgar Winters tour bus. He shouted out "Die, you pasty-faced goons!" as he ran over them...  

Steve Ahola

11/2/1998 2:25 PM
Chris
email

Yup, the parody of the old Charlton Heston "Omega Man" movie. Awful movie, but definitely fun to watch in a Mystery Science Theatre 3000  
sort of way. Figure it's not that unbelievable  
that Johnny and Edgar could survive nuclear holocaust. Certainly look like they would fit in too.  

Chris

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 6 Next> Last Page>>