ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Bloomfields Super

10/23/1998 10:20 AM
rick klimowicz
email
Bloomfields Super
I have a 1980 or so super reverb, with a master volume. Is it possible to eliminate the master volume? The amp also has an annoying high end. What can be modified to this amp to make it more of the pure black face warm tone.. A black face amp is out of my price range so I need to compromise somehow. Anyone have any ideas?(I'm looking for the bloomfield sound i.e. les paul and super reverb)  
thanks

10/23/1998 5:27 PM
Kevin Timm
email

There is a lot of inherent wiring problems in the later fenders that keep them from sounding real good. It usually isn't just one thing but several, including certain caps, certain wiring needing to be changed and certain design things. I could go more in depth but I hate typing!  
Thanks  
Kevin

10/24/1998 2:43 PM
Steve, again
email

Rick:  

For starters see if you can get a schematic for your particular model and then compare it to the AB763 in the Pittman book. I know the earlier SFSR's have been blackfaced with great results. I got a LP Standard in 1975 hoping to sound like Mike Bloomfield, not realizing that it was mini-humbuckers he was using on my favorite recordings. (I thought that the Standard was the entry-level LP and I bought it new for $550!)  

Steve Ahola

10/25/1998 10:13 PM
R L
email

Steve,  

Bloomfield really used the mini-humbuckers a la the LP Deluxe? Do you have any more info on that?  

R L

10/27/1998 11:33 AM
Earl
email

Bloomfield and minis? don't think so. I remember him from the mid and late 60's. Mini were introduced to the LP in the 70's as I remember it. Gibson did the mini humbucker because it fit into the same routed hole that the p-90's did.

10/27/1998 5:23 PM
RL
email

Yeah. Well, the reason I ask is that I came by a LP Deluxe in the early 70s and really was never too thrilled with the minis, so when a pair of nice P90s emerged in the parts bin at the local store (it was still the era of the big buckers with everyone prying the covers off, etc., and they were next to nothing), I dove for it and have kept them ever since, but you know I do love Mr Mike, before he succombed to the black demon, so I was wondering whether I had missed something in the minis (like not having had a nice blackface super), which are still luxuriating at the bottom of some box somewhere. But my memories are also of the earlier and bigger ones. Anyway, his sound on the first "Electric Flag" release is really something.  

RL

10/28/1998 7:38 AM
Earl
email

IMHO it just depends on what your doing. P90's and blues go together. However the mini humbucker on a Johnie Smith sounds terrific. for jazz and big band. One of my axes is a 70's SG with the mini pickups. It seems to be more versatile than my other axes (mix of p90's and humbuckers) in that it stays clean until overdriven but retains definition even heavily distorted. But definitly not meant for the blues, and too bright for jazz.

Page 1 of 6 Next> Last Page>>