ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. The sunn still shines online!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Reverb problems........How do I test a reverb transformer?

:
9/28/1998 2:10 PM
Benjamin Fargen
Reverb problems........How do I test a reverb transformer?
I have a mesa studio 22.......the reverb dwell is way to low. It sounds the same on 1 or 10!  
I suspect the reverb tranny is at fault? How do I check it to make sure?  
Thanks Guys!  
Benjamin

9/29/1998 8:11 AM
Mark Buckingham

I'm going to ask a stupid question here, but did you try switching the two rca plugs around? Maybe the reverb is hooked up backwards. (You will get a little reverb in that case.)  

As for checking, I just used another amp / reverb tank to test.  

My SF Princeton's tank is shot. I made sure it was the tank by hooking the tank up to my DC-2, then hooking the DC-2's tank up to my fender.  

Hope this helps.

9/29/1998 9:45 AM
Benjamin Fargen

Mark, Thanks for the reply. The tank is hooked up correctly and I tried another working tank that I had........still very little sound(and a dark muddy sound at that!)I tested the reverb pot and reflowed the solder at all leads coming from the reverb tranny(still no fix!). I am going to call mesa and order a replacement reverb tranny and try my luck with that.  
Any other suggestions are very welcome!!!!  
Thanks,Benjamin

9/29/1998 12:30 PM
niek

Hi,  

Just measure the impedance of the primary and secondary winding of the tranny and square the ratio of the two. This value should be about the same as the 22k/8Ohm ratio. I presume your reverb transformer is identical to the Fender type (22k/8 Ohm).  

Good luck,  

Niek

9/29/1998 8:08 PM
Richie

Benjamin: Is this a tube reverb?or chip? Have you replaced the tubes for the reverb? Try the tube first,you could have something bad in the circut,a resistor or cap.[check your voltages]Can you hear a crash sound when shaking or tapping the pan? If you hear the crash, but no reverb when playing through the amp,it is most likely the RV transformer.Does this amp have a footswitch? It might be bad. Just a few of my ideas,might help. Good luck [Richie]

Page 1 of 1