ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

chassis

10/21/1997 7:00 PM
Kevin
email
chassis
How can I go about making a chassis?  

Will a thin sheet of aluminum do? Probly  
not, because thin aluminum couldn't  
hold a transformer?  

Any thoughts on chassis construction?  

Or, do any of you know of a place to  
buy a "pre-made" chassis?

10/21/1997 7:31 PM
John Edwards
email

I believe Mouser Electronics (see the "Suppliers" section of Ampage) sells Hammond brand aluminum and steel boxes. I know Antique Electronic Supply does.

10/21/1997 8:28 PM
R.G.
See the mirror of Nate Stewart's Homebrew Tube amps here on Ampage. There are some pictures and a description of one way to DIY.

10/23/1997 3:30 AM
Charles
email

Kev,  
It may not be the finest thing in the world, but I learned it here, and it works for me.  

Find your local metal supplier and get some U-Channel stock, about 2 by 3/4 by what ever thickness metal. I think the stuff I get is 2.25x.75x.087 (not too certain on the thickness).  

This section will be the front, back and sides of the chassis. You can locate the corners and cut a bending line into the right location, also, cut a V notch in the 3/4inch part so you have no overlap when bent. I usually put the "seam" on one side that won't show. Bend this into a frame shape. Then it's a simple matter to put a plate on the top and bottom. I use .062 thick plate for the bottom, and .030 for the top. Sheet metal screw the top on, the rest I pop rivet together.  

This makes a very strong enclosure. And BTW, you can get the U channel and plate out of all sorts of aluminum, get the softer stuff for the U channel, and the harder stuff for the plate.

11/2/1997 6:29 PM
Karl Zwengel
email

Here's a little variation for your chassis. My brother-in-law owns a body shop and he gave me a tube of this new glue they use to attach quarter panels. It's stronger than a weld and won't ripple the steel. This stuff works great for putting the pieces together in this sort of chassis build. I can't remember the name of the stuff but you can get it at most places that carry a lot of auto body stuff, i.e pep boys, auto zone. Sure beats the pop rivet method. Real tidy too.

11/3/1997 4:26 AM
Charles
email

Glue? GLUE!!!  

Quick someone... pour me a whiskey!  

Seriously, the rivets are not a big deal, and insure a good metal to metal (shielded) connection. I even like to pop in a copper plate (.020) along with the bottom for a ground that can be soldered to. I leave the top accessable via sheet metal screws. There isn't much deformation in the metal either. The trick is to match the rivet to material. I use soft aluminum rivets, and they have a pretty low clenching force, hence low deformation.  

Hey but... what ever works for you is just fine!  

Thanks for the input.

11/6/1997 9:11 PM
Karl Zwengel
email

Yeah glue!  

This is serious stuff. Makes epoxy look like elmers school glue. The chassis is not going to come apart in your's or my lifetime. IMHO it makes for a cleaner looking box and you don't have to mess around with punching rivet holes. Like you said...whatever works.

Page 1 of 4 Next> Last Page>>