ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Dual Showman: Silverface to blackface?

10/8/1997 11:44 AM
Blob
Dual Showman: Silverface to blackface?
Hi,  
I am in the process of trying to restore a beat up silverface Dual Showman Reverb TFL5000D. There  
are at least two slightly different schematics for  
this amp in the Tube Amp Book(I say at least two,  
because my book split at the binding in between two Dual Showman schematics, losing some pages.)Figuring out which one mine is won't be a problem. My question is: Which Showman schematic should I convert it to?  
In the TAB it says that most silverface amps were  
changed back to pre-cbs circuits shortly after  
sales of the crappy amps stared to fall. Was this  
the case with Dual Showman? Let me mention that I  
am NOT happy with the way this amp sounds(clean and dead)but it was free.I've seen early Showman  
amps with presence knobs. Also, some with tube rectifiers. The Beatles used Dual Showmans(along with the rare Vox 7120)on the Revolver Album. Anybody know which version? Also, I was considering buying Weber's first book but others in this group say to ignore the advice in it. The Hoffman page calls it "The Fender Circuit Bible. Who's Right?  
thanx,  
Blob

10/8/1997 11:57 AM
J Fletcher
I wouldn't buy another book just for this conversion.You need the Showman AB763 schematic,that's the Blackface.No presence control,that's in the previous version.Never seen or heard of one with a tube rectifier,but you never know.

10/8/1997 12:47 PM
James
I would use the AB763 Twin Reverb schematic. The Dual Showman Reverb is the same circuit as Twin Reverb. You will not find a black face schematic for the head because they didn't make em' till '68, I think. At least I have never seen a black face Dual Showman Reverb. They are cool heads, having reverb and vibrato. Play it through a 2x15 cabinet and you can move some air!  
James

10/8/1997 1:55 PM
J Fletcher
James is right,Jerry's wrong,it's the same as a Twin Rev.

10/8/1997 5:28 PM
Jerry
The Weber book is not that bad and I think that he has some valid information. I would recommend it if you don't have any books at all. It has all those schematics which I think is great and he does cover basic safety. His tube biasing instructions are well written and easy to understand. It's the mods that I would question and some of the stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Jerry.

10/8/1997 5:57 PM
Keith
I have an early 68 Dual Showman head and 2 15" JBL cabinet and I read somewhere in mid 68 they changed the circut and added reverb and screwed it all up like they did to all their amps in 68. As far as presence knobs and rectifiers, never heard of them, but I don`t know that not to be a fact! Keith

10/9/1997 6:35 AM
Ken
If the AB763 for the Dual Showman is hard to find, look for the Showman, only one resistor different, or a AB763 Bandmaster, same minus two tubes.

Page 1 of 2 Next> Last Page>>