ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Hotbox DC Heater???

6/6/1999 3:54 PM
Bill S. Hotbox DC Heater???
Hi All,..  

I'm looking to build a HotBox,..however,...I can't find one part,..and that is the MP-3510 Bridge Recifier for the filaments.  

Can I use 4 diodes instead...  
What diodes can I use for this? 4007's?  

Thanks!

6/7/1999 6:42 AM
Whit

Bill,  

Sure, four 4007's are fine, or any of a number of packaged bridge rectifiers of sufficient VA...  

Whit

6/7/1999 7:12 AM
Niek

If you rectify a 6.3V rectifier winding, the DC heater voltage will be too high and you will damage the tubes. With 4007's or a similarly rated rectifier you'll get about 8 V DC after rectification. With two 12ax7's you'll have to put in a 3-3,5 Ohm/5W resistor between the filter cap's + connection and the heaters to drop to 6-6,3 Volts. Aim for 6 Volts.  

Niek

6/7/1999 1:16 PM
Brian

Just a thought...  

You could use a 9v transformer and a bridge rectifier. 9*1.4=12.6, and run the 12AX7's without the center tap.  

You would need about 150mA per tube at 12.6v, so look for a 6VA transformer or so.  

Brian

6/7/1999 8:45 PM
Bill S.
I have heard people use a 10,000 uf in parallel with the heaters,...to drop the voltage down,..correct?

6/8/1999 3:37 AM
Niek

Sorry, not correct,  

the 10000 uF is parallel to the rectifier's + and - to filter the ripple of the rectified voltage. It does not drop the voltage, it just filters it and is therefore a necessary item.  

You can not drop the DC voltage in this setup by putting a capacitor or resistor parallel to the heaters, this changes only the load impedance the rectifier sees, which does not affect the voltage.  

Like I said before put a resistor in series with that heaters, i.e. between the + of the capacitor and the first heater.  

Alternatively, use this setup for better filtering: rectifier --> 4700 uF cap --> 3 Ohm attenuation resistor ---> 4700uF cap ---> heaters.  

This is a nice C-R-C filter which filters out the AC ripple on the DC even better.  

Any more info, let me know  

Niek

6/8/1999 6:13 AM
Bill S.
NIEK,  

Thanks for the post, it was certainly helpful!  

Bill

Page 1 of 1