ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: The Best 6V6?

:
5/13/1999 9:26 PM
Richie
Re: The Best 6V6?
I have used many of these.. new Sovteks and about every older NOS tube... I really like the RCAs the best..Just my opinion [Richie]

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

5/13/1999 9:59 PM
Bob S

Richie:  

I think you're probably right, and I too have a little stock of NOS 6V6's stuck away for a rainy day. But my point is; Give me most any tube on the market and as long as the voltages are ok I will make any of them sound good. If one is thinner sounding I will fatten up the amp through a voice change in the circuit,etc. So once I find a decent type of tube I stay with it because I get used to it and I know how it's going to react under stress. And in designing new amps I refuse to depend on NOS inventory and pricing. Side note: I talked with Paul at Ruby tubes and he told me that their 6V6's are designed to withstand higher voltages. Anyone know about that?  

Bob S.

5/13/1999 11:46 PM
Steve A.

Bob:  

So once I find a decent type of tube I stay with it because I get used to it and I know how it's going to react under stress.  

Great point! It should definitely be one of the 10 commandments for commercial amp builders. Just an idea: if you have a tape labeler, maybe you could print out the recommended tube brands & numbers and stick them next to each tube socket for the customer to refer to later...  

Thanks!  

Steve Ahola

5/14/1999 8:02 AM
Doc

Might Paul be referring to the heavy duty 6V6 they sell? These tubes are not really 6V6s, but more like a low stress version of a 6L6 in a smaller -GT envelope. They certainly hold up in a maxed out 6V6 circuit, but they don't have the 6V6 sound characteristics. If you want your Deluxe reverb to play clean at higher volume control settings, then the HD's may be the ticket. There was a discussion here a while back regarding these tubes. I have forgotten what the required heater current is.

<<First Page<PrevPage 4 of 4