ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum. New: view Recent Searches.
New: visit Schematic Hell!
The sunn still shines online!

Listen to great tunes streaming live right now!

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Symptoms of bad coupling caps?

10/26/1998 5:58 AM
Graywater
email
Re: Symptoms of bad coupling caps?
Hey, Bruce, what part of the coutry are you from? When we "stick a pig" here in the mountains it "sqeals" not "leaks." You'll must really stick 'em hard.  

GW

10/26/1998 6:29 PM
Bruce
email

That was poetic license...  
A term my Grandma use to say and use for all sorts of stuff.  
Now she was from the coal mining area around  
Premier W.Va.  
I'm from the Motor City and moved out here to Denver about 22 years ago...where the real mountains are BTW :>)  

Bruce

10/27/1998 6:22 AM
Graywater
email

Bruce:  

Well, I'll admit your hills are a tad bigger but they are only young upstarts compared to the "vintage" Appalachians. I'm still trying to get legislation through locally to liscense poets (used to be married to one) but to no avail.  

Have a great day there in the pointy mountains.  

GW

10/27/1998 10:25 AM
Bruce
email

I read a book years ago... I think it was called Earth in Upheaval.  
Maybe not .. was that a band or an album cover?  
Anyhow, I remember reading somewhere, based on measurements of the density of the bedrock under the Appalachians, they were as much as 30,000 ft above sea level at one time 400 million to a billion years ago, do you remember that?  
:>0 oops.  

By the way, you mention radio op books a lot,  
are you a ham too?  
There are few of us here.  
KB0TJ  
Bruce

10/27/1998 7:48 PM
Graywater
email

Bruce:  

As best I remember the Appalachians were uplifted 220 million years. Mountain building is referred to as "orogony" - sounds dirty, doesn't it?  

Anyhoo, nah, I was never smart enough to be a ham but I always sorta wanted to. As far as the ARRL stuff, the "handbook" and the RCA Tube Manual were my first reference materials around 30 years ago or so - I still recommend the pre-solid state dominance Handbook for all electronics enthusiasts. Over the years I have also acquired a few texts randomly - really like Lewis York's "Amplifiers" - wish I had had a copy of it 30 years ago.  

GW

10/29/1998 9:40 AM
Bruce
email

Agreed!  
The older ARRL publications from pre 1981 are terrific sources of info.  
They are cheap at a few bucks each at ham swap meets.  
Some of the early rags from the RSGB  
(Radio Society of Great Britan)  
are very good too.  
They seemed to hang onto hollow state technology far longer then us in the states.  

Bruce

10/26/1998 6:27 AM
Dave H.
email

Try measuring the bias voltage on the problem socket then tap the tube to make the bias current rise. If the bias voltage remains constant then the bias circuit and coupling cap are not the problem. It could be a bad tube socket. The grid pin insert may be loose and only making an intermittent connection.  

Dave

<<First Page<Prev Page 2 of 3 Next> Last Page>>