ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Project is done!!

:
4/18/1998 2:18 PM
Les
Project is done!!
Got it done last night... so far it sounds good, haven't kicked it in high gear yet, (Master volume over 2)... what it is this:  

Channel 1: Marshall 2000a  
Channel 2: Marshall 2000b  
both feeding into reverb and then stereo return effects loop with that feeding into a pair of 50W power amp circuits that are under-powered, (plates are running at 400v) into Hammond 1650F OPT's.  

it's quiet as mouse, and when I can get a chance tu turn it up, it' oughta sound like a million...  

I built a Sunn Model T back in the '70s that was just as hard as this was to do... if y'all are interested, i'll post complete schematics with construction pics soon...  

A lot thanx go out to all you guys here, i may not have contributed much, but i sure as hell read alot... even though I'm trained as an EE, I haven't done much with it over the years, and am still learning...

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/21/1998 9:49 AM
eth
Yeah, man! I just finished a bandmaster conversion last night. The clean is cleaner and the distortion is very saturated. So I'm pretty happy right now too. How can I see the schematic? I haven't seen either of the Marshall 2000's yet. Can you pan the two power sections? later-eth

4/21/1998 10:39 AM
Les

"Can you pan the two power sections?"  

i thought about doing that, but decided against it, what would be the point?

5/11/1998 7:51 PM
eth
A little late, but the point would be... It would be psycho!  
All of a sudden your guitar is flying around the room, screaming feedback, simulated helicopters, machine guns, trains rumbling by complete with doppler effect simulated by You!!!  
people would be flipping out, "what's going on?, I think I took too much acid!... oh, whew the guitar player in stereo, I'm O.K." That would be cool huh? And post that bad boy if you can. Later! Eth

5/28/1998 5:36 PM
Les

well, i made some changes... it's now two different preamps that feed into stereo 35 watt(ish) power amps. one preamp is a blackface fender, the other is one channel of a plexi... talk about versatile. i can go from crystal clear to Jimi with the flip of a switch... the schematic can be viewed at:  

208.23.179.9/project/drawing.jpg  

it's kinda big (294k) so be patient....  

y'all lemme know whatcha think...  

Les

5/28/1998 8:12 PM
Les

due to circumstance beyond my control, i had to take the schematic down... sorry... i'll do a writeup and sned it to tboy and maybe he'll post it on here...  

Les

5/29/1998 8:01 PM
Steve A.

Les:  

I guess I got to your site before the Internet police closed it down...[g]  

Looks like an interesting design! I was wondering how the fx loop works for you- I've used the same unbuffered loop myself but have noticed that my -10dB fx processors will not drive the output section to full power. Haven't tried one of my +4dB processors yet, but another thought was to use an old mixer I have lying around to boost the signal going back to the return. And with a y-cable I'd be able to mix in the direct signal like a parallel loop. I figure an unbuffered loop for the price of 2 (or 3) jacks is a real deal, especially compared to some tube-buffered loops that drastically alter the gain or tone of the amp (and are liable to give you a bad case of the DT's).  

So how does the reverb circuit work? I noticed that you aren't running the direct signal through the typical Fender 3M3/10pf "bottleneck"- so that does work okay? And you were able to get the reverb to sound good without a transformer? Did you use the regular Fender-style tank or something different?  

I saved your file to disk, reduced the colors to 2 and converted it into a 68k GIF file if you want me to forward it to tboy. Or I could forward the original JPG file to him. Let me know.  

Steve Ahola

Page 1 of 11 Next> Last Page>>