ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Amperex 12AX7 "Bugle Boy"?

:
4/17/1998 12:29 PM
anonymous Amperex 12AX7 "Bugle Boy"?
I have seen a few ads for these in VG, and I happen to have several. Are these things really worth what I see them advertized at? ($75.00 a pop!)  

Also, I have a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 6550's. Any comments on the relative value of these babies?  

I'm just trying to get a handle on the real market. I keep finding these deals on tubes, but I don't have much perspective on the market for them. For example, I found a local source that bought out a TV repairman who was going OOB. He had several dozen 1940's NOS military (metal) octals that were so new, most had never been opened. Lots of 6SL7, 6SN7, 6SQ7, 6SC7, and a couple dozen NOS RCA of the same types as well. Plus a bunch of (used) rectifiers of various makes. I paid on average, $3-4 apiece.  

What do you guys think?

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

4/30/1998 5:42 AM
Pete

Well......let me put it this way.  

About a year aago, I found some tubes laying around in the junk bin here at work. After sorting thru them I realized I had found a gold mine. I got 3 Mullard rectifiers, 2 Tung-sol 5881's 3 amperex 12ax7's, a couple of Mullard 12ax7's and about 7 GE and RCA type preamp tubes. When I put them in my BF Super Reverb I couldn't believe the difference.  

So now I hunt the web looking for these tubes.  
They can be found at an extremely resonable price, but you really gotta dig.  

Unfortunate to think that just the preamp tubes would cost me $450.00 alone at the prices you indicate. This is more than what some people would pay for the whole amp.  

I've settled in on Telefunken`s labeled as Fisher, and Tung-sols labeled as GE. I don't need the Label on the tube, just the sound.  

Pete

Page 1 of 1