ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

output transformer wires

:
12/2/1997 11:17 PM
paul kreimer
output transformer wires
I have a drake output trans. from a marshall blues breaker reissue. The schematic doesn't list colors for the output wires, just for the ins and center tap. How can I find the ground, 4, 8, 16 ohm wires? Should the schematic be in the same order as the actual trans. Can I look at the colors from the ins and line them up with the output wires and the 4, 8, 16, and ground labels on the schematic?  

Thanks

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

12/3/1997 1:09 AM
R.G.

Use an ohmmeter to find the lowest resistance set. That will be the output wires. Pick two, put a low voltage across them at 100Hz or so from a test oscillator, or perhaps 1/2 of a CT 6.3VAC filament winding, and measure the voltages on the others. A little head scratching will yield the results. The only hard thing is deciding which is common; the other ones fall out directly in order of voltage.  

Do this with ALL THE OTHER WIRES OPEN. The primaries will have a couple of hundred volts on them when you do this.

12/3/1997 9:14 AM
Bruce
Marshall OT wires color code
I can't remember where I picked this up.  
It is not mine and I'm sorry if I step on anyones toes here!  

Marshall amp output transformer color code  

100 WATT  
brown - common  
green - 16 ohm  
yellow - 8 ohm  
black - 4 ohm  

50 WATT  
orange - common  
yellow - 4 ohm  
green - 8 ohm  
grey - 16 ohm  

Maybe this was helpfull!  
Bruce

12/3/1997 10:18 AM
anonymous
Thanks Bruce, this makes it easy, thanks also to RG for a way to test an unknown trans.  

Thanks

Page 1 of 1