ampage
Tube Amps / Music Electronics
For current discussions, please visit Music Electronics Forum.

ampage archive

Vintage threads from the first ten years

Search for:  Mode:  

Re: Variable Power Supply

:
8/29/1997 9:21 AM
R.G. Re: Variable Power Supply
The breadboarding setup sounds good. My favorite breadboarding setup is a variable power supply - I was fortunate enough to get a surplus HP variable high voltage one, with B+, filament, and bias outputs -, a mil-style turret strip for components mounted on standoffs, and surface mount relay sockets for the power tubes. I didn't have such a neato copper base. I just used a 2' x 2' piece of 1/2" plywood with some 0.032 aluminum glued to the top. This lets me just drill mounting holes for transformers, turret strip, outputs, etc., anywhere I want and run in hex head screws with the power driver to hold things in place. A piece of 2"x2"x 1/8" aluminum angle with 3/8" holes every 2" screwed down on one edge will hold all the controls I can think of.  

Do try to get the turret strips for parts. That alone speeded up breadboarding by 500% for me. Keystone makes them. There was a discussion of turret and eyelet strip buying and making over on alt.guitar.amps a ways back. Look in deja news.

Today
ampage
archive
And now, a word from our sponsors:

9/2/1997 11:46 AM
eth

My breadboard:A transformer with lots of current capability. Dc ends up being 560v, then is reduced with pi filters and a 160v zener. The  
voltages change with diff. circuits though  
(except for the 160v zener usually). Any way  
I don't do any soldering - all breadboard. for  
the pots. and the tube sockets they sell, what I think are called terminal strips. They look  
like bus strips, but have 35 - five conductor  
points. These work sweet because I am a neatness  
freak. I soldered wires from the tube socket  
pin/potentiometer lug to the bottom of those  
metal contact things. Sorry. This way allows  
the wires that will always be there not to clutter  
your view. I bent a piece of #20 steel into a  
chassis with a hammer, a piece of angle iron,  
and 2 clamps. The power supply is completely  
covered and all soldered wiring is done here.  
I think the time taken was worth it. it is very durable, not in risk of electric shock as much  
and I can transport it to try out other cabs.  
hope this helps. peace -eth

Page 1 of 1